Look for dark sesame oil (or you can use lighter sesame oil), lite coconut milk, and hot chili sauce on the ethnic food aisle of your supermarket.
More From Southern Living
Cool: 10 Minutes
Chill: 1 Hour
Soak: 30 Minutes
Grill: 6 Minutes
- Calories: 320
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Fat: 12.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Protein: 22g
- Carbohydrate: 31g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 48mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 307mg
- Calcium: 37mg
- 1 pound pork loin or boneless chops, trimmed
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 1/2 cup lite coconut milk
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons lite soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons hot chili sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 10-inch wooden skewers (about 30)
- 2 (8.8-ounce) packages precooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- 3 green onions, sliced
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Place pork between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and flatten to an 1/8-inch thickness, using a meat mallet or rolling pin; cut into 1-inch-wide strips. Set aside.
- Sauté onion in hot sesame oil in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat 7 to 8 minutes or until onion is tender. Add coconut milk and next 7 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, and simmer, stirring often, 15 minutes or until thickened. Cool 10 minutes. Reserve 1/3 cup coconut milk mixture, and set aside.
- Combine pork strips and remaining coconut milk mixture in a shallow dish or large zip-top plastic freezer bag. Cover or seal, and chill 1 hour.
- Soak wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes to prevent burning.
- Remove pork from marinade, discarding marinade.
- Thread pork strips onto skewers.
- Grill, covered with grill lid, over medium heat (300° to 350°) 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until done. Brush reserved 1/3 cup coconut milk mixture over grilled pork on skewers.
- Heat rice in microwave according to package directions.
- Spoon rice onto serving platter; top with pork skewers. Sprinkle with peanuts and green onions. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Uncle Ben's Ready Rice Whole Grain Brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note