I've made the vegetables before and they really are fantastic. I've just never made both the veggies and the pork together. Not sure I should be rating the pork the way I made it but....I used a 5lb roast and did not cut up. Browned roast in dutch oven, added a can of chk broth and rosemary to liquid, and put in 300 deg over for 4 hrs. It was fantastic! Served with the au jus, mashed sweet potato, and roasted asparagus. My 4 dinner guests and husband couldn't stop raving!!!
Pork and Roasted Winter Vegetables
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 319
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 10.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 23.5g
- Carbohydrate: 35g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 409mg
- Calcium: 102mg
- Roasted vegetables:
- 6 cups diced peeled beets (about 1 pound)
- 4 1/2 cups (2 1/2-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 cups (1 1/2-inch) cubed turnips (about 1 pound)
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups (1-inch-thick) sliced carrot
- 1 cup (1 1/2-inch) cubed peeled red potato (about 8 ounces)
- 8 garlic cloves
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Braised pork:
- 2 pounds boned Boston butt pork roast
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 10 peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- To prepare the roasted vegetables, place first 7 ingredients in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Bake at 450° for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- To prepare pork, trim fat from pork; cut into 2-inch cubes. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add half of pork, and sauté 5 minutes or until pork is browned on all sides. Remove from pan. Repeat procedure with 1 teaspoon oil and remaining pork. Return browned pork to pan; add 1/4 teaspoon salt, wine, thyme, peppercorns, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour. Uncover, bring to a boil, and simmer until the liquid is reduced (about 5 minutes). Serve pork with roasted vegetables.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note