This is the 1st recipe in an old CL "Cooking Class" article on pot roast & have meant to make this ever since that issue. Finally, last night we served a great roast & savory beans following the directions but changing some of the ingredients. Peeled four large cloves of garlic & added whole to the beans. Subbed salt-free chicken broth for the water. All else the same; think the end proportion of meat-to-beans was too high BUT very tasty. Pear & gorgonzola salad afterwards, dressed with apple cider viniagrette.
Pork Roast with White Beans and Cranberries
This rich dish balances sweet and tart flavors from the cranberries with savory notes from the pork and sage. Garnish each serving with a fresh sage sprig.
Yield: 13 servings (serving size: about 3 ounces roast and 1/2 cup beans)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 407
- Calories from fat: 32%
- Fat: 14.4g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 36.1g
- Carbohydrate: 34g
- Fiber: 8.7g
- Cholesterol: 103mg
- Iron: 4.4mg
- Sodium: 284mg
- Calcium: 83mg
- 1 pound dried navy beans (about 2 cups)
- 1 (5-pound) pork shoulder blade roast, trimmed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups sliced shallots (about 8 medium)
- 5 cups water
- 3 fresh sage sprigs
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Sort and wash beans; place in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; cover and let stand 8 hours. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Sprinkle pork roast with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Rub surface of roast with 4 teaspoons minced sage. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add roast to pan; cook for 15 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove roast from pan. Add sliced shallots to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Return roast to pan. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, beans, 5 cups water, and sage sprigs to pan; bring to a simmer. Cover and bake at 350° for 2 hours. Add dried cranberries to pan; bake an additional 30 minutes or until roast is tender. Remove sage sprigs; discard. Remove roast from pan; shred pork with 2 forks. Sprinkle with remaining 2 teaspoons minced sage. Serve roast with bean mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes