This is the 1st recipe in an old CL "Cooking Class" article on pot roast & have meant to make this ever since that issue. Finally, last night we served a great roast & savory beans following the directions but changing some of the ingredients. Peeled four large cloves of garlic & added whole to the beans. Subbed salt-free chicken broth for the water. All else the same; think the end proportion of meat-to-beans was too high BUT very tasty. Pear & gorgonzola salad afterwards, dressed with apple cider viniagrette.
Pork Roast with White Beans and Cranberries
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 407
- Calories from fat: 32%
- Fat: 14.4g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 36.1g
- Carbohydrate: 34g
- Fiber: 8.7g
- Cholesterol: 103mg
- Iron: 4.4mg
- Sodium: 284mg
- Calcium: 83mg
- 1 pound dried navy beans (about 2 cups)
- 1 (5-pound) pork shoulder blade roast, trimmed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups sliced shallots (about 8 medium)
- 5 cups water
- 3 fresh sage sprigs
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Sort and wash beans; place in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; cover and let stand 8 hours. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Sprinkle pork roast with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Rub surface of roast with 4 teaspoons minced sage. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add roast to pan; cook for 15 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove roast from pan. Add sliced shallots to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Return roast to pan. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, beans, 5 cups water, and sage sprigs to pan; bring to a simmer. Cover and bake at 350° for 2 hours. Add dried cranberries to pan; bake an additional 30 minutes or until roast is tender. Remove sage sprigs; discard. Remove roast from pan; shred pork with 2 forks. Sprinkle with remaining 2 teaspoons minced sage. Serve roast with bean mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes