Giant Pork Meatballs with Bitter Greens
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Randy Mon
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 421
- Calories from fat: 65%
- Protein: 26g
- Fat: 30g
- Saturated fat: 10g
- Carbohydrate: 10g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Sodium: 647mg
- Cholesterol: 99mg
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 large bunch (about 1 lb.) greens, such as mustard, dandelion, or escarole, trimmed and torn into rough 2-in. pieces
- 1 large bunch (about 1 lb.) Swiss chard, trimmed and torn into rough 2-in. pieces
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes
- Hot cooked polenta
- 1. Preheat oven to 450º. In a food processor, whirl together bread crumbs, buttermilk, anchovy paste, parsley, cheese, and capers. Transfer mixture to a bowl. Add pork and mix with a wooden spoon or your hands. Form 6 to 8 meatballs.
- 2. Heat oil in a large ovenproof frying pan over high heat. Add meatballs and cook, turning as needed, until browned, 6 to 8 minutes.
- 3. Pour in 1/2 cup broth. Transfer pan to oven and bake until cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, heat remaining 1/2 cup broth in a wide pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic. When fragrant, add greens a few handfuls at a time, stirring just until they wilt before adding the next batch. Sprinkle with salt to taste and the chile flakes. Transfer greens to a serving dish, top with meatballs, and pour any liquid from the baking dish over the greens.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving without polenta.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note