A keeper. Pretty quick to prep, and really tasty. Maybe a typo on the orange part (1 orange = .5 pound?) and the stock to couscous ratio seemed high, so I cut in half (following the directions on my couscous package).
Pork Chops with Cumin and Orange
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 448
- Calories from fat: 14%
- Protein: 35g
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Carbohydrate: 58g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Sodium: 142mg
- Cholesterol: 72mg
- 4 center-cut loin pork chops (each about 3/4 in. thick and 6 oz.)
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse-ground pepper
- 2 1/3 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 1 orange (1/2 lb.)
- 1. Trim and discard fat from chops; wipe chops with a damp towel. Press cumin seed and pepper equally onto both sides of chops. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Place each chop between sheets of plastic wrap; with a flat mallet or rolling pin, gently pound meat to 1/4 inch thick, pounding as close to the bone as possible.
- 2. In a 2- to 3-quart pan over high heat, bring 2 cups broth to a boil. Stir in couscous, cover tightly, and remove from heat; let stand until broth is absorbed and couscous is tender to bite, about 5 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, set a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over high heat. When pan is hot, add chops, without crowding, in a single layer, and turn as needed to brown on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes total. As chops are cooked, transfer to a rimmed plate.
- 4. Meanwhile, rinse orange; cut in half lengthwise, then cut 1 half crosswise into thin slices, discarding seeds. Cut remaining orange half into 4 wedges.
- 5. Return all chops and any accumulated juices to pan. Add sliced orange and 1/3 cup broth; cover and simmer over low heat until meat is no longer pink in the center (cut to test), about 4 minutes.
- 6. Spoon couscous equally onto plates. Arrange chops and orange slices alongside; drizzle pan juices evenly over meat. Accompany with orange wedges to squeeze over pork. Add salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes