- 1 pound dried Great Northern beans
- 2 bacon slices, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 pounds boneless pork loin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound turkey kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup (1/4-inch) sliced carrot
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup (1/4-inch-thick) red bell pepper rings
- 1 1/2 cups (1-inch) cubed French bread
- 1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- calories 526
- caloriesfromfat 30 %
- fat 17.6 g
- satfat 6.5 g
- monofat 7.3 g
- polyfat 2.5 g
- protein 50.7 g
- carbohydrate 40.8 g
- fiber 11.5 g
- cholesterol 117 mg
- iron 5.1 mg
- sodium 808 mg
- calcium 193 mg
How to Make It
Sort and wash beans, and place in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; bring to a boil, and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain; return beans to pan. Cover beans with water, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes; drain.
Preheat oven to 300°.
Add bacon to pan; cook over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon. Increase heat to medium-high. Add pork to drippings in pan; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove pork with a slotted spoon. Add the kielbasa; cook for 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove kielbasa with a slotted spoon. Add onion, celery, carrot, garlic, and thyme; saute 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in 1/4 cup water, tomato paste, broth, and tomatoes.
Return beans, bacon, pork, and kielbasa to pan; bring to a boil. Cover and bake at 300° for 1 hour. Remove 1 cup of beans and vegetables with a slotted spoon. Place in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Return to pan. Stir in the wine, salt, and black pepper. Arrange the bell pepper rings evenly over top.
Place the bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs form to measure 1 1/2 cups. Combine with cheese. Sprinkle cassoulet with the breadcrumb mixture. Return the cassoulet to the oven, and bake, uncovered, an additional 45 minutes.