This was the best carnitas I've ever made. It's not the traditional flavor of carnitas because of the chipotle but was it was fantastic. I made it with a Pork top loin roast instead of the Butt to save on fat from calories and it was great. We have plenty of left overs so I think I'm going to roast it in the oven so that I can try to get a little of that crispiness that traditional carnitas has from being fried. Hopefully it will work.
Pork Carnitas with Caramelized Onions and Chipotle
Serve with jicama, roasted red peppers, and avocado wrapped in soft corn tortillas. Or spoon over a bed of rice.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 191
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Fat: 7.4g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 21.7g
- Carbohydrate: 8.3g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 58mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 631mg
- Calcium: 45mg
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless Boston butt pork roast, trimmed and cut into (1-inch) cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups chopped onion (about 2 medium)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 chopped chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal and shake to coat pork. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Remove pork from bag. Add pork to pan; cook 10 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove from pan.
- Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in salt, cumin, and chile. Return pork to pan, and add broth. Bring to a simmer; cover. Cook 2 hours or until pork is very tender. Remove from heat; discard bay leaves. Stir in cilantro and juice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This