Pork and Black-Bean Chili
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 276
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Sodium: 826mg
- Cholesterol: 38mg
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups cubed, cooked pork
- Two 28-oz cans whole tomatoes (broken up with fingers)
- 15-oz can black beans, drained black beans, drained and rinsed
- 10.5-oz can fat-free beef broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, optional
- Salt and pepper
- Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Stir in the pepper, onion, and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes or until soft.
2. Stir in the pork. Add the tomatoes, beans, broth, chili powder (if using), salt, and pepper. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until bubbling and hot.
How kids can help: Measure ingredients; put beans in colander and rinse them.
TIP: Cut leftover cooked pork into strips and divide into 1-cup portions. If you won't be using it in a dish within 2 days, freeze it, wrapped first in foil, then in plastic freezer wrap.
TIP: If you plan to freeze this dish prepare all but the mashed potatoes (which you can cook and spoon over after you defrost the rest).
TIP: You can freeze the chili-and all of these dishes-for up to 2 months in an airtight container or zip-close plastic bag.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes