- 2 pounds boneless pork loin roast
- 1 pound honey ham, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup Chinese mustard, divided
- 8 whole wheat submarine rolls, sweet rolls, or 7- to 8-inch sections of French or Italian bread
- 3/4 cup red plum, red currant, or raspberry jam or jelly
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- 2 7-oz cans green chiles, drained and sliced
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- calories 720
- protein 48 g
- fat 30 g
- sodium 1870 mg
- cholesterol 140 mg
- satfat 12 g
- carbohydrate 67 g
- fiber 7 g
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper and 1/4 cup of the mustard. Spread mixture on all sides of the pork. Place pork, fat side up, in a shallow roasting pan and roast 15 minutes.
Reduce oven to 350 degrees F. and continue roasting 40 to 45 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F. (medium rare) to 160 degrees F. (medium). Remove roast from oven and let rest 10 minutes. Slice very thinly and set slices aside.
To prepare the sandwiches, halve the rolls, laying all 16 halves out, and butter the outside of each of them. On half of the halves, spread the remaining mustard (1 1/2 tablespoons). On the other half of the sandwich halves, spread 1 1/2 tablespoons of jam. Arrange ham, roast pork, cheese, and chiles on the mustard halves of each sandwich, then top with the jam halves.
Prepare a grill to medium-hot heat. Lay a double layer of foil on the grill, large enough to hold the sandwiches. Place sandwiches on the foil, place bricks over the sandwiches (2 sandwiches per brick), and press down gently. Grill until the bottom of the bread is browned and cheese starts to melt, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn, replace the bricks, and grill 2 minutes more. Cut sandwiches in half and serve.