I wanted a side dish to go with turkey pitas. I left out the pork and left it as a vegetarian dish. Instead of the red pepper flakes, I added green bell peppers. Everyone loved it! Thanks for the idea.
Pork-and-Black Bean Power Lunch
You can make this recipe up to two days before serving. Prepare as directed through Step 2; cover and chill overnight. Then take to work and store in a refrigerator until ready to heat as directed.
More From Southern Living
- Calories: 405
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 8.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 23.4g
- Carbohydrate: 62.8g
- Fiber: 10.6g
- Cholesterol: 35mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 820mg
- Calcium: 73mg
- 1 (8.8-oz.) pouch ready-to-serve whole grain medley rice*
- 1/2 cup rinsed and drained canned black beans
- 1/4 cup shredded fully cooked pork roast au jus
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. Cuban Salsa Verde
- 1. Remove 3/4 cup rice from ready-to-serve pouch. Reserve remaining rice for another use.
- 2. Layer rice, beans, pork, and salsa, in this order, in a microwave-safe plastic container.
- 3. Cover with lid; lift 1 corner to allow steam to escape. Microwave at HIGH 1 to 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir before serving.
- *1 (8.8-oz.) package ready-to-serve brown rice may be substituted.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Uncle Ben's Ready Whole Grain Medley Brown & Wild and Hormel Fully Cooked Pork Roast Au Jus.
- Note: Nutritional analysis includes 2 Tbsp. Cuban Salsa Verde.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note