My family loved this recipe! The flavors are complex and astonishingly tasty. It does take time to make but is certainly worth the effort!
Porcini Meat Sauce
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 218
- Calories from fat: 54%
- Protein: 16g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Carbohydrate: 9.6g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Sodium: 424mg
- Cholesterol: 58mg
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground veal or ground beef (sirloin)
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 cans (28 oz. each) crushed or ground tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- About 1/4 teaspoon salt
- About 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a small bowl, soak mushrooms in 1 cup hot water until soft, about 15 minutes. Gently rub under water to release grit, then lift out (reserve liquid); finely chop mushrooms.
- 2. Meanwhile, pour oil into a 6- to 8-quart pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add veal, pork, parsley, and garlic. Stir constantly, breaking meat into small pieces, until browned, 5 to 8 minutes.
- 3. Stir in tomatoes, oregano, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and mushrooms; carefully pour in reserved soaking liquid, leaving grit behind. Bring to a boil, then lower heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes are broken down and sauce is thick, about 1 1/2 hours. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Nutritional analysis per serving of sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sauces/Condiments