Poppy Seed Cake
Yield: Makes 7 cups batter for 2 (8-inch) layers (4 cups) and 2 (6-inch) layers (3 cups), or 1 (15- x 10-inch) or 1 (16- x 12-inch) jellyroll sheet cake
More From Southern Living
Bake: 45 Minutes
Cool: 10 Minutes
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package butter-flavored cake mix
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1. Stir together first 4 ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add eggs, sour cream, and oil; beat at low speed with an electric mixer 30 seconds or just until moistened. Beat at medium speed 2 minutes.
- 2. Pour 4 cups batter evenly into 2 greased and floured 8-inch round cakepans. Pour remaining 3 cups batter evenly into 2 greased and floured 6-inch round cakepans.
- 3. Bake 6-inch layers at 350° for 20 minutes and 8-inch layers at 350° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of each layer comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool.
- Note: Use a 15- x 10-inch or 16- x 12-inch jellyroll pan for Small Tiered Cluster Cakes and Bridesmaid Baby Cakes. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note