Notes: Guests cook clams on the grill, then dip them in melted butter. This relaxed, do-it-yourself style is a signature of Sunset entertaining. The recipe easily expands or shrinks to accommodate any group.
Sunset MAY 1998
1. Scrub clams under cool running water. Discard any gaping clams that don't close when cleaned.
2. Place a bowl with clams, a basket with baguette slices, small forks, and napkins alongside barbecue grill. Place butter in a small pan on a cool section of grill.
3. Have guests set clams on grill over a solid bed of hot coals or high heat on a gas grill (you can hold your hand at grill level only 2 to 3 seconds); close lid on gas grill.
4. Cook clams until they pop wide open, 6 to 8 minutes. Pick up clams, using tongs or napkins to protect fingers, drain juices into butter, then pluck clams from shells, dip in butter, and eat.
5. When all the clams are cooked, dip bread into butter.
Nutrition analysis per 2-clam serving.
Go to full version of