Fantastic! And it only takes a few minutes to extract your own pomegranate juice. Cut a pomegranate in half, then submerge in a large bowl of water, cut side down, and break apart the pomegranate half and 'brush' out the seeds. The seeds will sink to the bottom and the pulp floats on the top, separating it. Put the seeds in a blender and process for a few seconds, then pour through a wire mesh strainer into a cup. Use a spoon to mash the pulp against the mesh and squeeze out all the juice. One pomegranate yields about 1/2 cup of juice. Our 99 Cent Store has poms for $1 apiece right now while they're in season; I stocked up and plan to extract and freeze pom juice in ice cube trays to make this fabulous sauce later. My friends raved!
The sweet-tart flavor of pomegranate juice infuses the flavor of the glaze in Pomegranate Chicken. Sprinkle pomegranate arils over this chicken dish for a colorful garnish.
Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: 1 breast half)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 363
- Fat: 9.5g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Sodium: 287mg
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Garnish: pomegranate arils
- Heat a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil; swirl. Add shallots and fresh rosemary; sauté 1 minute. Stir in pomegranate juice, agave nectar, and red wine vinegar; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 1/2 cup (about 15 minutes), stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in butter. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil; swirl. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Add chicken to pan; sauté 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Brush chicken with 1/4 cup glaze; cook 1 minute. Turn chicken over; brush with remaining glaze. Cook 1 minute or until chicken is done. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes