this recipe is wonderful. colorful, tasty, easy to prepare. i tried it recently with orange segment supremes because pomegranates are no longer in season and oranges are. just as good, if not better.
Pomegranate and Beet Salad
NOTES: Roast beets in a 375° oven until easily pierced with a sharp knife, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Let cool, then peel and dice. Or use canned diced beets, drained.
Yield: MAKES: 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 124
- Calories from fat: 15%
- Protein: 3.3g
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Carbohydrate: 20g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Sodium: 127mg
- Cholesterol: 7.5mg
- 1 cup diced (about 1/2 in.) cooked beets (about 3 fresh; see notes)
- 1 cup diced red onion (about 6 oz.)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 1/2 to 2 cup mâche, arugula, or butter lettuce leaves, rinsed and crisped
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1. In a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over high heat, boil beets, onion, vinegar, broth, liqueur, sugar, and orange peel, stirring often, until liquid is reduced to 2 tablespoons, 7 to 10 minutes. Let cool to room temperature, or chill airtight up to 1 day.
- 2. Stir pomegranate seeds and salt to taste into the beet mixture.
- 3. Mound mâche equally on salad plates. Spoon pomegranate and beet mixture alongside greens. Sprinkle feta cheese over greens.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads