Polpette en Brodo
Polpette en Brodo may be better known as Italian meatball soup or "meatballs in broth." Using turkey sausage in the meatballs reduces the fat and adds flavor to the soup's broth.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 191
- Calories from fat: 17%
- Fat: 3.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Protein: 11.6g
- Carbohydrate: 27.4g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 662mg
- Calcium: 31mg
- 2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 slice firm white bread (such as Pepperidge Farm Hearty White)
- 2 hot turkey Italian sausage links (such as Jennie-O)
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions (about 5 large), divided
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup uncooked orzo
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1. Bring broth and water to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat.
- 2. While broth mixture comes to a boil, place bread in a food processor; pulse until crumbs form. Remove casings from sausage. Combine sausage, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, egg white, 1/2 cup green onions, and 1/4 cup chopped parsley in a medium bowl. Pat sausage mixture into a 6 x 4-inch rectangle; cut into 24 (1-inch) cubes. Roll sausage mixture into balls.
- 3. Add sausage balls, carrot, orzo, pepper, and salt to broth mixture. Reduce heat to medium-high, and simmer 10 minutes or until sausage is done and orzo is tender. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup green onions and remaining 1/4 cup parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note