Everything turned out well, but next time I make it, I will slice the polenta a little thinner so that it turns out a little crispier after broiling. This is a great option for vegetarian/vegan meals, not the same-old/same-old.
Polenta with Wild Mushroom Sauce
Photo: Howard L. Puckett; Styling: Connie Formby
Don't limit yourself to this Wild Mushroom Sauce: Polenta can be served with other hearty sauces, too.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 polenta slices, 1/3 cup mushroom sauce, 1 1/2 teaspoons parmesan cheese)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 178
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Fat: 4.2g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 6g
- Carbohydrate: 30g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 359mg
- Calcium: 69mg
- 1 1/3 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 6 1/2 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 1 pound mushrooms)
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons (3/4 ounce) fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- Thyme sprigs (optional)
- Place the cornmeal and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large saucepan. Gradually add water, stirring constantly with a wire whisk. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium. Cook 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Spoon the polenta into an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray, spreading evenly. Press heavy-duty plastic wrap onto surface of polenta, and chill 2 hours or until firm.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, thyme sprigs, and rosemary sprig; cook 3 minutes or just until garlic begins to brown. Stir in mushrooms and next 5 ingredients (mushrooms through pepper); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard the thyme and rosemary sprigs. Add parsley; cook, uncovered, 5 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside, and keep warm.
- Invert polenta onto a cutting board; cut crosswise into 12 slices. Place slices on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Broil 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Arrange 2 polenta slices on each of 6 individual serving plates. Top each with about 1/3 cup of mushroom sauce and 1 1/2 teaspoons of Parmesan cheese. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables