This was very good...and very spicy! The polenta came out perfect -- I was surprised that such an easy method worked so well!
Polenta with Smoky Mushroom Ragout
Baking polenta in the oven, as opposed to using the traditional method of stovetop cooking, frees you so you can prepare the mushroom topping. Oyster mushrooms are fan-shaped and have a peppery bite that softens during cooking. The smokiness of chipotle chiles unexpectedly complements the mushrooms.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 250
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 5.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 11.3g
- Carbohydrate: 38.9g
- Fiber: 5.8g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 769mg
- Calcium: 108mg
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups dry polenta
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 8 cups sliced oyster mushroom caps (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Côtes du Rhône or other fruity red wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped drained canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 cups (8 ounces) crumbled queso fresco cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare polenta, combine first 4 ingredients in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish, stirring well. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until liquid is absorbed. Cover polenta and keep warm.
- To prepare ragout, while polenta bakes, heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add mushrooms and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook 10 minutes or until mushrooms release moisture and begin to brown, stirring occasionally. Add wine, chiles, oregano, and garlic. Reduce heat to medium, and cook 1 minute or until liquid evaporates, stirring constantly. Stir in tomatoes, and cook over low heat 15 minutes or until the mixture thickens slightly, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon ragout over polenta; sprinkle evenly with cheese. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until cheese begins to melt. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note