Polenta with Sausage and Greens
Notes: Look for mustard greens washed and cut into pieces in the produce section of a well-stocked supermarket. If they aren't available, rinse whole mustard greens well and drain; cut into 2-inch pieces. Serve polenta with cherry tomato halves lightly dressed with an herb vinaigrette.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 481
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Protein: 29g
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Carbohydrate: 68g
- Fiber: 7.7g
- Sodium: 579mg
- Cholesterol: 57mg
- 3 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1 cup polenta or yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound hot Italian turkey sausages, casings discarded
- 2 or 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon hot chili flakes (optional)
- 4 quarts washed and cut mustard greens (1 lb.; see notes)
- 1/2 cup shredded light or regular Italian blend cheese or shaved parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 1. In a 3- to 4-quart pan, mix broth, milk, and polenta. Stir over high heat until boiling; reduce heat to low and stir often until polenta is smooth to taste, 12 to 15 minutes. If polenta is thicker than desired, stir in 2 to 4 tablespoons water.
- 2. Meanwhile, pour oil into a 5- to 6-quart nonstick pan over high heat, tilting to coat bottom. When oil is hot, add sausages and break apart with a spoon. Add garlic and chili flakes; stir often until meat is browned and crumbled, about 4 minutes. Add mustard greens and stir often until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- 3. Spoon polenta equally into 4 bowls. Top equally with sausage-mustard green mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note