We liked this a lot, especially the sauce as the polenta was quite plain. I couldn't find hot turkey sausage so spiced up sweet turkey sausage with a little crushed red pepper.
Polenta with Sausage
Vary this dish by using a flavored polenta or a different cheese, such as provolone.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 327
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Fat: 6.9g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 22.7g
- Carbohydrate: 41.3g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 39mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 1076mg
- Calcium: 296mg
- 1 (16-ounce) tube of polenta, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Cooking spray
- 12 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup preshredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Arrange polenta slices in the bottom of an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes, turning once.
- While the polenta bakes, heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Remove casings from sausage. Place sausage, bell pepper, and fennel seeds in pan; cook 5 minutes or until the sausage is browned, stirring to crumble. Add seasoning and tomatoes; cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Pour the sausage mixture over polenta, and top with cheese. Bake at 450° for 3 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This