Super simple but very nice. Roasting brings out the sweetness of the bell pepper, which pairs great with the savory tomatoes and gooey cheese. I'd make homemade polenta next time for more flavor, and stir in some fresh herbs like basil and oregano.
Polenta with Roasted Red Peppers and Fontina Cheese
Photo: Oxmoor House
Yield: 6 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 187
- Calories from fat: 38%
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated fat: 4.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 9.2g
- Carbohydrate: 20.2g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Cholesterol: 27mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 622mg
- Calcium: 151mg
- 3 large red bell peppers
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- Cooking spray
- 1 (16-ounce) tube polenta, cut crosswise into 12 slices
- 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- Fresh basil (optional)
- Preheat broiler. Cut peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 10 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel; cut into strips. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Drain tomatoes in sieve over bowl; reserve liquid. Set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium-low heat; add chopped tomatoes. Cook 1 minute. Gradually add tomato liquid; simmer 1 minute. Add pepper strips; simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spread 1/4 cup pepper sauce in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange polenta slices over pepper sauce; spread remaining pepper sauce over polenta. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Garnish with basil, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Polenta with Roasted Red Peppers and Fontina Cheese Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This