So creamy - I would have thought there was loads of butter in here, if I hadn't made it myself, between the creamy polenta and gooey melted cheese on top. A simple and homey preparation for polenta - served with grilled pork and balsamic grilled asparagus.
Polenta with Fontina and Spinach
Fontina is one of the great cheeses of Italy. It has a mild, creamy flavor and melts well, making it super-versatile. You can use almost any cheese in this side dish, though; try Parmesan for a sharper, nutty flavor.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 126
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 4.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 5.7g
- Carbohydrate: 16.9g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 419mg
- Calcium: 106mg
- Olive oil-flavored cooking spray
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chopped spinach (about 3 1/2 ounces)
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup polenta
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded fontina or Parmesan cheese
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add spinach; cook 1 minute or until spinach wilts. Remove from heat.
- Combine water and broth in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Gradually add polenta, stirring constantly with a whisk. Reduce heat to medium; cook 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in spinach mixture, salt, and pepper.
- Spoon polenta mixture evenly into a 9-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray. Press plastic wrap onto surface of polenta; chill 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Remove polenta from pan; place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over polenta. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until cheese melts and begins to brown. Remove from oven; cool 5 minutes. Cut polenta into wedges, using a sharp knife. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables