I think some of the cooking times were off here. The sauce never really thickened. It was actually better the longer is sat out because everything had a chance to settle.
Polenta with Browned Butter and Mushroom Sauce
Use old-fashioned coarse-ground polenta for this recipe, or follow the package directions for the quick-cooking variety. Nutty browned butter adds to the earthy flavor of this mushroom sauce.
Yield: 8 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 136
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 4.4g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 3.5g
- Carbohydrate: 21.3g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Iron: 0.7mg
- Sodium: 253mg
- Calcium: 19mg
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dry polenta
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- Chopped fresh chives (optional)
- Combine 4 cups water and salt in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Gradually add polenta, stirring constantly with a whisk. Reduce heat, and cook 8 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter; stir until butter melts. Keep warm.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat; cook 3 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add chopped shallots to pan, and cook 2 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently. Add cremini mushrooms to pan; cook 4 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Combine chicken broth, juice, and cornstarch in a small bowl, stirring until smooth. Stir broth mixture into mushroom mixture, and bring to a boil. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in 2 tablespoons chives.
- Place about 1/3 cup polenta in each of 8 bowls; top each serving with about 1/4 cup mushroom mixture. Sprinkle each serving with chopped fresh chives, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables