This Was GreaT. I Added Blank Peeper And 1/4 Cup Of Romano Cheese To The Polenta. It's Easy, Pretty And Good Enough For Special Occasions. Thank You!
Polenta Toasts with Balsamic Onions, Roasted Peppers, Feta, and Thyme
Photo: Andrew Thomas Lee; Styling: Kaitlyn Du Ross
The polenta and onions may be prepared a few days in advance.
Yield: Serves 16 (serving size: 2 triangles)
More From Cooking Light
Total: 3 Hours
Amount per serving
- Calories: 77
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 1.5g
- Carbohydrate: 8.6g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 0.5mg
- Sodium: 172mg
- Calcium: 22mg
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup dry polenta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups vertically sliced onion
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped bottled roasted red bell peppers
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1. Bring 3 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Gradually add polenta, stirring constantly with a whisk. Reduce heat to low, and cook 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter. Spoon polenta into an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Press plastic wrap onto surface of polenta; chill 2 hours or until firm.
- 2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil and remaining 1 tablespoon butter; swirl to coat. Add garlic; sauté 15 seconds. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, onion, and thyme sprig; sauté 3 minutes or until onion begins to soften. Reduce heat to low; cook 30 minutes or until onion is very tender, stirring frequently. Add vinegar; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Discard thyme sprig.
- 3. Invert polenta onto a cutting board; cut into 16 squares. Cut each square in half diagonally. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Lightly coat polenta triangles with cooking spray. Add 16 triangles to pan; cook 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Repeat procedure with remaining triangles.
- 4. Divide onion mixture, bell pepper, and feta evenly among triangles. Garnish with thyme leaves.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note