I'm a seasoned cook, but would never spend 3 hours preparing just one hors d'oeuvre recipe. I used premade polenta in a pouch. Can be purchased in the health food section of most grocery stores and often available in different flavors. I sauteed the polenta the day before and refrigerated them after cooling. I did the same with the onion and chopped the peppers. The next day, just heat in the microwave and assemble.
Polenta Toasts with Balsamic Onions, Roasted Peppers, Feta, and Thyme
Photo: Andrew Thomas Lee; Styling: Kaitlyn Du Ross
More From Cooking Light
Total: 3 Hours
Amount per serving
- Calories: 77
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 1.5g
- Carbohydrate: 8.6g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 0.5mg
- Sodium: 172mg
- Calcium: 22mg
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup dry polenta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups vertically sliced onion
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped bottled roasted red bell peppers
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1. Bring 3 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Gradually add polenta, stirring constantly with a whisk. Reduce heat to low, and cook 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter. Spoon polenta into an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Press plastic wrap onto surface of polenta; chill 2 hours or until firm.
- 2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil and remaining 1 tablespoon butter; swirl to coat. Add garlic; sauté 15 seconds. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, onion, and thyme sprig; sauté 3 minutes or until onion begins to soften. Reduce heat to low; cook 30 minutes or until onion is very tender, stirring frequently. Add vinegar; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Discard thyme sprig.
- 3. Invert polenta onto a cutting board; cut into 16 squares. Cut each square in half diagonally. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Lightly coat polenta triangles with cooking spray. Add 16 triangles to pan; cook 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Repeat procedure with remaining triangles.
- 4. Divide onion mixture, bell pepper, and feta evenly among triangles. Garnish with thyme leaves.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note