Polenta Soufflé and Salad
Notes: You can also bake these soufflés in 12 muffin cups (2 1/2 in. wide, 1/3-cup capacity); butter the cups and dust lightly with grated parmesan cheese (1/4 cup total), then fill cups, mounding batter slightly. Bake as directed (step 5). Ease the baked soufflés free with a thin knife, tip them out of the pan, and serve hot (3 per serving). If making up to 1 day ahead, let cool (in soufflé dishes or out of muffin cups); reheat several at a time in a microwave oven on full power (100%) until steaming, 1/2 to 1 minute for each batch.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 700
- Calories from fat: 59%
- Protein: 31g
- Fat: 46g
- Saturated fat: 26g
- Carbohydrate: 42g
- Fiber: 5.7g
- Sodium: 2035mg
- Cholesterol: 320mg
- About 1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup polenta
- About 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- About 8 cups rinsed, crisped butter lettuce leaves
- Mushroom dressing
- Cambozola fondue
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1. Butter 4 soufflé dishes (1 1/4- to 1 1/2-cup size) and dust with the parmesan cheese.
- 2. In a 3- to 4-quart pan, mix milk with polenta and 3/4 teaspoon salt; add 1/4 cup butter, cut into chunks. Stir over medium-high heat until mixture boils, then reduce heat to medium and stir until polenta is thick enough to hold a clean path for a few seconds when spoon is drawn across bottom of pan, 8 to 10 minutes; remove from heat.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, with a mixer on high speed, whip egg whites until they hold distinct, moist peaks.
- 4. Stir baking powder into polenta, then add egg yolks and stir to mix well. Add about 1/4 of the egg whites and stir to mix. Fold polenta mixture into remaining egg whites. Spoon batter equally into soufflé dishes. Set dishes slightly apart in a shallow 10- by 15-inch pan.
- 5. Bake in 375° regular or convection oven until soufflés are well browned, 30 to 40 minutes. Set each on a plate and mound lettuce leaves beside the dish. Spoon warm mushroom dressing equally onto lettuce. Spoon cambozola fondue equally over soufflés and salads; sprinkle with chives. Add salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note