This is delicious, but it becomes very watery as the mushrooms release liquid as they cook, so consider serving it in bowls, not in neat piles like lasagna! But the flavors are great, especially the richly condensed mushrooms and creaminess of the ricotta mixture. Would leave out the rosemary and use sage instead.
Polenta Lasagna With Wild Mushrooms
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 301
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 10.1g
- Saturated fat: 5.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 19.4g
- Carbohydrate: 33.5g
- Fiber: 4.3g
- Cholesterol: 33mg
- Iron: 3.1mg
- Sodium: 506mg
- Calcium: 380mg
- 1 (1/2-ounce) package dried porcini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 5 cups chopped portobello mushroom caps (about 3/4 pound)
- 4 cups chopped shiitake mushroom caps (about 1/2 pound)
- 3 cups chopped button mushroom caps (about 1/2 pound)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (15-ounce) carton part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 (16-ounce) tubes polenta, each cut into 20 (1/4-inch-thick) slices
- Cooking spray
- Combine porcini and hot water in a small bowl. Let stand 30 minutes. Drain in a sieve over a bowl, reserving 1/4 cup mushroom liquid. Rinse and drain porcini; finely chop.
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes. Add the porcini, portobello, shiitake, and button mushrooms. Sprinkle mushrooms with salt; sauté 8 minutes.
- Combine the reserved mushroom liquid, wine, tomato paste, rosemary, oregano, and tomatoes in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Combine 1 cup mozzarella, thyme, ricotta cheese, and egg whites in a bowl; set aside.
- Arrange 15 polenta slices in the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with 2 1/2 cups mushroom mixture, 1 cup tomato sauce, and 1 1/4 cups ricotta mixture. Repeat layer with 15 polenta slices, remaining mushroom mixture, 1 cup tomato sauce, and the remaining ricotta mixture. Top with the remaining polenta slices and tomato sauce. Sprinkle the lasagna with 1 cup mozzarella. Cover and bake at 375° for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles