This recipe has the added benefit of being gluten free !
Polenta Lasagna with Cream Sauce
- 1/2 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 large onion, sliced
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/2 (8-ounce) container fresh button mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 cup 1% lowfat milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons 1% lowfat milk
- 1/4 cup 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Cream Sauce
- 2 (17-ounce) tubes plain or pesto-flavored polenta, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Remove stems from shiitake mushrooms, and thinly slice.
- Sauté onion in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over high heat 3 minutes. Add shiitake and button mushrooms, and sauté 3 to 4 minutes or until onion is tender. Add 3/4 cup milk, and bring to simmer.
- Whisk together cornstarch and 2 tablespoons milk; stir into mushroom mixture. Add cream cheese and wine, stirring until blended. Remove from heat. Stir in salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Spread 3 tablespoons of Cream Sauce in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer one-third of polenta slices over sauce. Sprinkle 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese over polenta. Top with mushroom mixture. Top with one-third polenta slices and remaining Cream Sauce; top with remaining one-third of polenta slices.
- Bake at 375° for 35 to 40 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan. Broil at high 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned. Remove from heat. Cover loosely with aluminum foil, and let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Marjon Original Polenta found in the produce section of the supermarket.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This