Polenta Gratin with Tomato-Porcini Sauce
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 453
- Calories from fat: 38%
- Protein: 22g
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated fat: 11g
- Carbohydrate: 40g
- Fiber: 6.1g
- Sodium: 1159mg
- Cholesterol: 64mg
- 1/4 ounce (about 2 tablespoons) dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 or 2 packages (about 2 lb. total) cooked polenta, plain or seasoned
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes with basil
- 1/4 cup dry red wine such as Zinfandel or Pinot Noir
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil leaves or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 pound jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1. In a bowl, combine mushrooms and 1/2 cup boiling water and let stand until limp, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, cut the polenta crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Divide slices among 4 shallow 2-cup gratin dishes or ramekins. Bake in a 450° oven until hot, about 5 minutes.
- 3. As polenta bakes, rub mushrooms gently to release grit, then lift from water, squeeze dry, and finely chop. Reserve liquid.
- 4. Put mushrooms in a 10- to 12-inch frying pan. Pour in most of the soaking liquid, discarding the gritty remainder. Add tomatoes, wine, and basil. Bring to a boil over high heat and boil about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- 5. Remove polenta from oven and spoon sauce evenly over it. Sprinkle with jack and parmesan cheeses.
- 6. Broil 6 inches from heat until cheeses begin to brown, about 6 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note