Polenta Corn Cakes
Notes: Serve with thinly sliced prosciutto, sliced tomatoes, and broiled green onions or leeks with some of their green tops. Spoon chipotle sauce onto pancakes or present it in a small cup (one made of lettuce works well). Garnish with slivers of green onions.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 310
- Calories from fat: 15%
- Protein: 9.7g
- Fat: 5.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrate: 56g
- Fiber: 6.1g
- Sodium: 504mg
- Cholesterol: 46mg
- 1 cup polenta
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 2/3 buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions, including some green tops
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh-cut, frozen, or drained canned)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
- Chipotle sauce
- 1. In a large bowl, mix polenta, flour, baking powder, soda, sugar, and salt.
- 2. Add egg and buttermilk. Beat with a whisk until batter is smooth. Stir in onions, corn, and butter.
- 3. Place a griddle or 10- to 12-inch frying pan (nonstick, if desired) over medium heat. When it's hot, spoon batter in 1/4-cup portions onto griddle, spacing slightly apart. Cook until edges look dry, turn with a wide spatula, and brown bottoms, 2 to 3 minutes total.
- 4. Serve pancakes as cooked, or arrange in a single layer on racks on baking sheets and keep warm in a 150° oven up to 15 minutes.
- 5. Stack pancakes on plates and serve with chipotle sauce added to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note