I really enjoyed this recipe, with a few tweaks. In addition to rosemary I added thyme and basil, as well as fresh spinach to the tomato mixture. I agree with another reviewer who said there was not nearly enough polenta to spread on the pan, so I used an 18 oz. package of organic polenta as my base. I didn't add a top layer of polenta or butter, just the tomato mixture topped with ricotta and parmesan (though did add a bit more of the cheese than specified as I am a cheese lover!).
Polenta Casserole with Mushrooms, Tomatoes, and Ricotta
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 235
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 7.5g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 9.7g
- Carbohydrate: 35g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 891mg
- Calcium: 206mg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 3 cups coarsely chopped cremini mushrooms (12 ounces)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup instant polenta (such as Contadina)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 8 minutes. Add mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and garlic, and cook 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in wine, rosemary, and tomato paste; reduce heat to medium, and cook 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, and cook until thick (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Bring water to a boil in saucepan; stir in polenta and 1 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat to low; cook until thick (about 5 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Spread one-third of polenta mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with 1 teaspoon oil. Spread half of tomato sauce over polenta, and top with 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Drop half of the ricotta cheese by spoonfuls onto the Parmesan cheese. Repeat the layers, ending with polenta. Top with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and butter. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This