Fun, different, easy recipe! I agree that the sopes need a bit more spice but overall really enjoyed this meal...will try adding cumin, smoked salt, and red pepper flakes next time. Hubby raved. Served with a side of steamed broccoli...1 sopa was plenty. Had them again...topping them with refried beans per the suggestion of another reader was delicious!
Poblano Sopes with Avocado Salad
More From Cooking Light
Total: 25 Minutes
- Calories: 317
- Fat: 17.3g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 9.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.3g
- Protein: 8g
- Carbohydrate: 36.3g
- Fiber: 6.7g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 319mg
- Calcium: 116mg
- 1 poblano chile
- 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 5 ounces masa harina (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1 1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- 2 ounces queso fresco, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 medium avocado, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Cut chile in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place chile halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 6 minutes or until blackened. Place in a paper bag; fold to close tightly. Let stand 5 minutes. Peel and chop chile.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 4. Combine chile, uncooked quinoa, masa harina, 1 cup water, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl; stir until a soft dough forms. Divide mixture into 4 equal pieces; shape each piece into a 4-inch patty. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add canola oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add sopes to pan; cook 3 minutes or until browned. Turn sopes over; place pan in oven. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until browned and heated through.
- 5. Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, olive oil, juice, and sugar in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add arugula and remaining ingredients; toss gently to coat. Serve over sopes.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note