Poblano Picadillo Casserole
Picadillo, a popular dish in many Spanish-speaking countries, consists of ground meat, tomatoes, garlic, onion, and, often, olives and raisins. This casserole version gets an extra punch of rich flavor from roasted poblano chiles.
More From Oxmoor House
Other: 15 Minutes
- Calories: 338
- Fat: 11.6g
- Saturated fat: 4.2g
- Protein: 22.1g
- Carbohydrate: 36.8g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
- Iron: 3.2mg
- Sodium: 372mg
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Fiber: 4g
- Calcium: 115mg
- 4 large poblano chiles, seeded and halved
- Cooking spray
- 1 (3 1/2-ounce) bag boil-in-bag brown rice (such as Success)
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimiento-stuffed olives
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat broiler.
- Place poblano chile halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray; flatten with hand. Broil 16 minutes or until blackened. Place chiles in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 10 minutes. Peel and discard skins; cut chile halves into strips to measure 3/4 cup. Reserve any remaining chile for another use.
- While chile stands, cook brown rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain well.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cook beef, onion, and garlic in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble beef. (Drain if necessary, and return beef mixture to pan.) Add rice, diced tomatoes, and next 9 ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook, uncovered, 3 minutes.
- Spoon 3 cups beef mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with chile strips and remaining beef mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes or until bubbly.
- Remove from oven; sprinkle with cheese. Cover loosely with foil; let stand 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note