Poblano and Nopales Chimichangas
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Karen Shinto
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 294
- Calories from fat: 39%
- Protein: 9.7g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 4.9g
- Carbohydrate: 34g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sodium: 477mg
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 poblano chile, halved, seeded, and sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 1 cup cubed nopales*
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup shredded jack or pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 flour tortillas (8 in.), warmed slightly
- Salsa and guacamole
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Mix 1 tbsp. oil with melted butter, and brush some onto a baking sheet. Heat remaining 1 tbsp. oil in a large frying pan over medium heat; add chile, onion, nopales, and salt; and cook, stirring often, until vegetables soften and start to brown, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Put 2 tbsp. each cheese and beans and about 1/4 cup of the vegetable mixture onto center of a tortilla. Fold in sides and roll up like a burrito. Set chimichanga onto greased baking sheet, seam side down. Fill remaining tortillas and space about 2 in. apart on pan. Brush remaining butter mixture over chimichangas.
- 3. Bake, turning halfway through, until browned and crisp, about 20 minutes. Cut chimichangas in half diagonally and serve with salsa and guacamole.
- *Buy cut and cleaned nopales (cactus pads) at a Latino market.
- Make ahead: Through step 2 up to 5 hours, chilled; bake about 5 minutes longer.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 2-piece serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers