Eh.....it was just ok. And that was AFTER adding a bunch of heat and seasonings to jazz it up. Was pretty bland made as is. Probably won't make again.
Poblano Mac and Cheese
Photo: Brian Woodcock; Styling: Mary Clayton Carl
Serve with Grapefruit, Walnut, and Feta Salad.
Yield: Serves 4
More From Cooking Light
Total: 30 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 424
- Fat: 11.6g
- Saturated fat: 4.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 21.1g
- Carbohydrate: 59.6g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 576mg
- Calcium: 375mg
- 8 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 2 poblano chiles (about 4 ounces)
- 1/3 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 1 cup unsalted vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 5 ounces queso quesadilla cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 3/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cooking spray
- Grapefruit, Walnut, and Feta Salad
- 1. Preheat broiler to high.
- 2. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain.
- 3. While pasta cooks, cut chiles in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place chile halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 6 minutes or until blackened. Place in a paper bag; fold to close tightly. Let stand 5 minutes. Peel and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- 4. Combine breadcrumbs, oil, rind, and red pepper in a bowl. Place 3/4 cup milk, stock, flour, and garlic in a saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil; cook 3 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Stir in chiles, 1/4 cup milk, cheese, and next 4 ingredients until smooth. Stir in pasta. Spoon mixture into an 8-inch square broiler-safe glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with breadcrumb mixture. Broil 1 minute or until browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note