My hubby is a macaroni & cheese addict and loved this recipe. We doubled the recipe, but didn't have enough poblano chiles so we added 2 chipotles (in sauce) to make up for it. It added a little heat without being too spicy. Also didn't quite have enough queso cheese so added a little sharp cheddar to make up for the difference. We didn't find it bland at all, but maybe the addition of the chipotles and some sharp cheddar added some additional flavor. We also decided to bake it at 350 for 30 minutes rather than broiling it, so it could have giving it time for the flavors to meld together. Keeper for us.
Poblano Mac and Cheese
Photo: Brian Woodcock; Styling: Mary Clayton Carl
Serve with Grapefruit, Walnut, and Feta Salad.
Yield: Serves 4
More From Cooking Light
Total: 30 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 424
- Fat: 11.6g
- Saturated fat: 4.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 21.1g
- Carbohydrate: 59.6g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 576mg
- Calcium: 375mg
- 8 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 2 poblano chiles (about 4 ounces)
- 1/3 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 1 cup unsalted vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 5 ounces queso quesadilla cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 3/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cooking spray
- Grapefruit, Walnut, and Feta Salad
- 1. Preheat broiler to high.
- 2. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain.
- 3. While pasta cooks, cut chiles in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place chile halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 6 minutes or until blackened. Place in a paper bag; fold to close tightly. Let stand 5 minutes. Peel and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- 4. Combine breadcrumbs, oil, rind, and red pepper in a bowl. Place 3/4 cup milk, stock, flour, and garlic in a saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil; cook 3 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Stir in chiles, 1/4 cup milk, cheese, and next 4 ingredients until smooth. Stir in pasta. Spoon mixture into an 8-inch square broiler-safe glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with breadcrumb mixture. Broil 1 minute or until browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables