Poached Seckel Pears
- 1 bottle (750 ml.) Beaujolais Nouveau
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 whole star anise
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 in.)
- 1 vanilla bean (4 in.)
- 8 firm-ripe Seckel pears (1 to 2 oz. each)
- 1. In a 1 1/2- to 2-quart pan over medium heat, combine Beaujolais Nouveau, sugar, star anise, cloves, and cinnamon sticks.
- 2. Split vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape seeds into wine mixture; add pod. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, peel pears (leave stems on) and add to pan; reduce heat to low, cover, and cook untl pears are tender when pierced, 10 to 15 minutes. Remve from heat and let stand, covered, for 1 hour.
- 4. With a slotted spoon, transfer pears to small bowls and return pan with poaching liquid to medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 1 cup, about 30 minutes. Drizzle liquid over pears; garnish with whole spices.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note