1. In a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over high heat, bring broth and 2 cups water to a boil. Add scallops and simmer just until opaque but still moist-looking in center of thickest part (cut to test), about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer scallops to a bowl; keep warm.
2. Add tomatoes and orzo to pan. Stir often over high heat until most of the liquid is absorbed and orzo is tender to bite, 10 to 12 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, mix oil, honey, vinegar, and thyme.
4. Return scallops (and any juice) to pan and stir gently just until hot, 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Spoon orzo and scallops onto plates. Drizzle scallops equally with honey mixture. Season with pepper to taste.