A beautiful looking salad. I also made this salad with kalamata olives, as my local grocery store didn't have nicoise olives. I also added some spring greens to the watercress. Delicious, especially the dressing.
Poached Salmon Niçoise
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Randy Mon
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 547
- Calories from fat: 51%
- Protein: 35g
- Fat: 32g
- Saturated fat: 4.8g
- Carbohydrate: 30g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Sodium: 396mg
- Cholesterol: 178mg
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 10 black peppercorns
- 2 cups white wine
- 2 pounds skin-on wild salmon fillet pieces (1 to 1 1/2 in. thick)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 5 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- Sea salt to taste
- 2 large bunches watercress, root ends trimmed, leaving stems intact
- 10 small yellow-skinned new potatoes, boiled until tender and cut in half
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, cut into quarters
- 1/4 pound haricots verts (French green beans) or regular green beans, trimmed and boiled until tender-crisp
- 1/2 cup pitted Niçoise olives
- 3 Roma tomatoes, cut into lengthwise wedges
- 1. To a large roasting pan, add bay leaves, kosher salt, peppercorns, and wine. Add salmon and enough water to cover.
- 2. Remove salmon and set aside; bring liquid to a boil, covered. Reduce to a simmer, then gently slide salmon into liquid and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, covered, until salmon is just opaque.
- 3. While salmon is cooking, make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together garlic, mustard, and vinegar. Gradually whisk in oil until dressing is emulsified. Whisk in herbs and season with sea salt.
- 4. Using 2 spatulas, remove salmon, place on a cooling rack set on a sheet pan, and chill 10 minutes, loosely covered with foil. Discard poaching liquid.
- 5. Remove salmon from refrigerator and break into large pieces, discarding skin. On a very large serving platter, top watercress with pieces of fish, potatoes, eggs, green beans, olives, and tomatoes. Drizzle dressing over everything and serve immediately, accompanied by crusty bread.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note