Very tasty and a hit with my husband and toddler (for her, I put all the components in separate little piles on her plate instead of mixed together with dressing. She ate most of them except the watercress). Don't forget to boil the eggs, potatoes and beans before you begin, as the recipe assumes you have already done that. I used kalatmata olives instead of Niçoise.
Poached Salmon Niçoise
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Randy Mon
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 547
- Calories from fat: 51%
- Protein: 35g
- Fat: 32g
- Saturated fat: 4.8g
- Carbohydrate: 30g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Sodium: 396mg
- Cholesterol: 178mg
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 10 black peppercorns
- 2 cups white wine
- 2 pounds skin-on wild salmon fillet pieces (1 to 1 1/2 in. thick)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 5 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- Sea salt to taste
- 2 large bunches watercress, root ends trimmed, leaving stems intact
- 10 small yellow-skinned new potatoes, boiled until tender and cut in half
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, cut into quarters
- 1/4 pound haricots verts (French green beans) or regular green beans, trimmed and boiled until tender-crisp
- 1/2 cup pitted Niçoise olives
- 3 Roma tomatoes, cut into lengthwise wedges
- 1. To a large roasting pan, add bay leaves, kosher salt, peppercorns, and wine. Add salmon and enough water to cover.
- 2. Remove salmon and set aside; bring liquid to a boil, covered. Reduce to a simmer, then gently slide salmon into liquid and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, covered, until salmon is just opaque.
- 3. While salmon is cooking, make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together garlic, mustard, and vinegar. Gradually whisk in oil until dressing is emulsified. Whisk in herbs and season with sea salt.
- 4. Using 2 spatulas, remove salmon, place on a cooling rack set on a sheet pan, and chill 10 minutes, loosely covered with foil. Discard poaching liquid.
- 5. Remove salmon from refrigerator and break into large pieces, discarding skin. On a very large serving platter, top watercress with pieces of fish, potatoes, eggs, green beans, olives, and tomatoes. Drizzle dressing over everything and serve immediately, accompanied by crusty bread.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This