Yield: 18 to 20 servings
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 3 celery ribs with leaves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 parsley sprigs
- 10 black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
- 3 (8-ounce) bottles clam juice
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 (8-pound) salmon, dressed
- Garnishes: Cucumber slices, lemon slices, and sprigs of fresh dill
- Cucumber Dill Sauce
- Watercress Sauce
- Combine first 10 ingredients in a fish poacher.* Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Cool to room temperature; strain reserving liquid. Discard solids. Return liquid to poacher.
- Remove the head, tail, and fins from salmon. Wrap fish in cheesecloth; tie ends with string. Place fish in poaching liquid; add water to cover by 1 to 1 1/2 inches. Cover and bring to a simmer; simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat, leaving fish in liquid for 15 minutes. Remove fish from liquid. Cool. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours.
- Remove cheesecloth. Remove and discard skin. Place fish on a platter, and garnish with cucumber slices, lemon slices, and fresh dill. Serve with Cucumber-Dill Sauce, Watercress Sauce, and Aïoli.
- *A large oval roasting pan may be used.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note