- 8 firm Bosc pears
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1/2 lemon, sliced
- 1/2 orange, sliced
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 (2-inch) cinnamon stick
- Garnishes: mint leaves, orange slices
- Core pears from bottom, cutting to, but not through, stem end. Cut a thin slice from bottom of each so that pears stand upright. Stir together lemon juice and 2 tablespoons water in a medium bowl. Peel pears; coat with lemon juice mixture to prevent browning.
- Combine 2 cups water and next 6 ingredients in a large Dutch oven over medium heat; bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add pears; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until pears are fork-tender. Remove pears, and chill.
- Strain liquid; return to Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 2 cups. Chill. Serve with pears. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Poached Pears Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts
- CONVENIENCE: Make-Ahead
- CUISINE: American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Fruits
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Meatless, Gluten-Free
- OCCASION: Christmas, Easter, July 4th, Labor Day, Mardi Gras, Memorial Day, Mother's Day, New Year's, Thanksgiving, Valentine's Day, Birthdays/Anniversaries
- PUBLICATION: Coastal Living
More Recipes Like This