- 3 pounds beef brisket in one piece, preferably the point cut (also called deckle cut or tip)
- 2 yellow onions, peeled and halved
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1-in. chunks
- 2 carrots, cut into 1-in. chunks
- 12 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 canned plum tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Salsa verde
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- 8 anchovy fillets, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons salt-packed capers, rinsed and minced
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup fine soft bread crumbs (from crustless day-old bread, whirled in a food processor)
- 1 hard-cooked egg, chopped medium fine
- Kosher salt to taste
- calories 472
- caloriesfromfat 78 %
- protein 18 g
- fat 42 g
- satfat 11 g
- carbohydrate 6.9 g
- fiber 0.7 g
- sodium 473 mg
- cholesterol 83 mg
How to Make It
Poach brisket: Trim excess fat from outside of brisket. Put meat in a large pot and add enough water to cover by 1 in. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, skimming any foam from surface. Add onions, celery, carrots, parsley, bay leaves, and tomatoes, crushing tomatoes between your fingers as you add them. Add salt. Cover partially and simmer gently until brisket feels tender when probed with a fork, 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Cool in broth, then chill overnight.
Skim off any congealed fat. Reheat brisket in the broth over medium-low heat.
Make salsa verde: In a bowl, combine oil, parsley, anchovies, shallots, capers, and lemon zest and juice. Stir in bread crumbs and egg and season with salt.
Transfer brisket pieces to a cutting board. Using a very sharp knife, cut meat against the grain into 1/2-in.-thick slices, then into 2-in. pieces. Arrange pieces in a single layer on a platter and drizzle with a little of the hot broth to moisten them. Dollop salsa verde onto meat. Serve immediately, with extra salsa on the side.
Make ahead: Brisket, up to 2 days through step Salsa, up to 4 hours, covered and chilled.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Note: Total time does not include chilling overnight.