- 4 small red or black plums, sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup whole or low-fat buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Sweetened whipped cream
How to Make It
Combine plums, 1 tablespoon sugar, lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt in a bowl, tossing gently.
Grease sides and bottom of a 9-inch cast-iron skillet or deep-dish pie pan. Cover bottom with plum slices, overlapping slightly.
Whisk together eggs, remaining sugar, buttermilk, vanilla, and butter until well blended.
Combine flour, baking powder, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt; whisk into egg mixture. Pour batter over fruit. Bake at 375° for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan about 30 minutes.
Run tip of knife around edge of cake to loosen. Invert onto a platter, and serve with sweetened whipped cream.