Juicy plum and vanilla flavors combine to create this delicious upside-down cake. Pudding adds texture to this cake, not icing, so the plum flavor can shine through the subtle sweetness and the natural color of the plums decorate the gorgeous top. Use red or black plus, according to preference.
Makes 8 servings
1. Combine plums, 1 tablespoon sugar, lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt in a bowl, tossing gently.
2. Grease sides and bottom of a 9-inch cast-iron skillet or deep-dish pie pan. Cover bottom with plum slices, overlapping slightly.
3. Whisk together eggs, remaining sugar, buttermilk, vanilla, and butter until well blended.
4. Combine flour, baking powder, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt; whisk into egg mixture. Pour batter over fruit. Bake at 375° for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan about 30 minutes.
5. Run tip of knife around edge of cake to loosen. Invert onto a platter, and serve with sweetened whipped cream.