Plum Upside Down Cake
This moist, spicy cake is a perfect compliment to sweet/tart plums. Feel free to substitute any fruit, and tweak the spices to suit your tastes. Careful attention to preparation will help keep this low calorie cake tender and fluffy.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 3/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup(s) whole wheat pastry flour
- 1.5 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) allspice
- 1/4 cup(s) brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup(s) honey
- 6 ounce(s) cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup(s) apple sauce
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 2 whole(s) eggs
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla
- 2 whole(s) plums thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a non-stick 9 inch springform pan or cake pan and line bottom with parchment paper. You may also wish to spray the parchment paper as well to prevent sticking.
- Thinly slice plums and arrange on the bottom of the pan. At this point, you may drizzle with additional honey, or sprinkle with cinnamon or sugar, if you desire (optional).
- In a large bowl, measure and whisk together flours, baking powder, salt, and spices. Be sure to measure flour using the spoon and level technique.
- In another bowl, cream together softened cream cheese and brown sugar using an electric hand mixer until slightly fluffy, about 30 seconds. Add honey, apple sauce, eggs (one at a time), olive oil, and vanilla, one at a time, until well incorporated, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl regularly. Using a spatula or spoon to mix, gently incorporate the flour mixture into the wet ingredients until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter over the plums, and cook for 45-50 minutes, or until cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow cake to cool partially (about 15 minutes) before loosening the sides using a sharp knife and removing the sides of the pan (if using a springform pan). Invert onto a serving plate, and allow to rest for 5 minutes before removing the pan and parchment paper.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by jessicaebacher and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note