Plum Compote with Star Anise
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar, more if the plums are tart
- 8 whole star anise
- 2 pounds red and/or black plums (about 9), halved and pitted
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1. In a medium stainless-steel saucepan, combine the wine, water, sugar, and star anise and bring to a simmer over moderately high heat.
- 2. Add the plums. Bring the poaching liquid back to a simmer and cook, partially covered, until the plums are just tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Pour the plums and their liquid into a glass or stainless-steel bowl and let cool. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Variations : You can use red wine instead of white.: Add several strips of orange zest to the saucepan along with the star anise.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts