- 3 1/2 pints strawberries, washed and hulled, divided
- 1 baked (9-inch) pastry shell
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
- 4 drops red food coloring
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fresh whole strawberries
How to Make It
Arrange 2 1/2 pints strawberries in bottom of pastry shell; set aside.
Finely chop remaining strawberries, and place in a small saucepan. Add 3/4 cup sugar, water, and cornstarch; stir well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
Remove from heat, and stir in butter and food coloring. Cool slightly, and spoon mixture over strawberries in pastry shell. Chill thoroughly.
Before serving, combine whipping cream, superfine sugar, and vanilla in a medium mixing bowl; beat until soft peaks form. Pipe whipped cream onto pie. Garnish with whole strawberries.