Disclaimer: I did not have planks, so I used a grill pan. Also, I refuse to use frozen spinach when I can help it, so I used beautiful fresh baby spinach. I found this dish barely-edible and my significant other (who is a self-proclaimed human garbage disposal) couldn't even finish his. Totally underseasoned and bland and the zucchini took FOREVER to cook through on a grill pan. I can't imagine it being that different on a grill, though I could be wrong. Waste of good farm-fresh zucchini =(
Plank-Grilled Zucchini with Couscous, Spinach, and Feta Stuffing
Photo: John Autry; Styling: Mindi Shapiro
Cedar planks lend this dish a pleasant smokiness. If you don't have planks, cook the zucchini halves directly on the grill. Use zucchini with some heft; if it's too thin, it may get too soft.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 stuffed zucchini halves)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 192
- Fat: 5.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 8.7g
- Carbohydrate: 28.7g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 564mg
- Calcium: 172mg
- 2 (15 x 6 1/2 x 3/8-inch) cedar grilling planks
- 2 1/4 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots (about 1 large)
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 3/4 cup uncooked couscous
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) diced feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 medium zucchini (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1. Soak planks in water 1 hour; drain.
- 2. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- 3. Place broth in a large skillet over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Add shallots and spinach; cook 5 minutes. Stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Stir in cheese and next 5 ingredients (through pepper).
- 4. Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-inch-thick shell. Sprinkle salt evenly over zucchini. Spoon about 2/3 cup stuffing into each zucchini half.
- 5. Place planks on grill rack; grill 3 minutes or until lightly charred. Turn planks over; place zucchini on charred sides of planks. Cover; grill 12 minutes or until tender.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note