- 2 large green bell peppers (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 pound Italian-flavored turkey sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons sliced green olives
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 (1-ounce) slices Italian bread, toasted
- calories 370
- caloriesfromfat 30 %
- fat 12.5 g
- satfat 4.1 g
- monofat 3.8 g
- polyfat 2.3 g
- protein 23.1 g
- carbohydrate 44 g
- fiber 5.8 g
- cholesterol 55 mg
- iron 5.5 mg
- sodium 920 mg
- calcium 189 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°.
Cut tops off bell peppers; discard tops, seeds, and membranes. Cook peppers in boiling water 5 minutes; drain and set aside.
Remove casings from sausage, and discard casings. Cook sausage, onion, and garlic in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble sausage. Add mushrooms; saute 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in Parmesan cheese, olives, Italian seasoning, salt, and tomato sauce; cook 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
Divide sausage mixture evenly between peppers, and top with mozzarella cheese. Place stuffed peppers in an 8-inch square baking dish; bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Serve with toasted bread. (Serving size: 1 stuffed pepper and 1 bread slice).