THIS IS NOT QUICK, but if you have the time it's well worth it. Also if your thinking this pizza will be dry cause there's no sauce, then you're wrong. The crust is easily as good, if not BETTER...then at a pizza place. I added a little over a 1/2 cup pamesian cheese with the feta which makes it nice. Also if you don't want so many onions, then swap it out with some artichoke hearts cooked the same way. However you make it...you can't go wrong.
Pizza with Caramelized Onions, Feta, and Olives
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Manning Barr
This pizza is a variation on a classic dish from the South of France called pissaladière. Our version omits the original's anchovies.
Yield: 6 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 324
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Fat: 7.6g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 10.4g
- Carbohydrate: 54.5g
- Fiber: 6g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Iron: 3.1mg
- Sodium: 466mg
- Calcium: 157mg
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup cool water
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 2 1/2 cups Caramelized Onions (about 8 cups uncooked)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pitted kalamata olives
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water in a small bowl, and let stand 5 minutes. Stir in cool water, milk, and olive oil. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Place flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor, and pulse 2 times or until blended. With processor on, slowly add yeast mixture through food chute, and process until dough forms a ball. Process dough an additional minute. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly 4 to 5 times.
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover dough, and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Punch dough down; cover and let rest 15 minutes. Roll dough into a 14-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Place dough on a 15-inch pizza pan or baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Combine Caramelized Onions, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and garlic. Spread onion mixture over dough. Sprinkle feta and olives over onion mixture. Bake at 450° for 18 minutes or until browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note