The topping is piled high, making this like a deep dish-style pizza. Fantastic flavor from the sweet caramelized fennel and salty olives - so much so, I think the mozzarella may be unnecessary, and I almost never say such a thing! The dough was a touch too floury; i'd use a lighter hand kneading next time.
Pizza with Caramelized Fennel, Onion, and Olives
While the yeasty pizza dough rises, prepare the savory topping.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 296
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 7.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 11.9g
- Carbohydrate: 45.4g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Iron: 3.1mg
- Sodium: 653mg
- Calcium: 220mg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 2/3 cup warm water (100Â° to 110Â°)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups thinly sliced fennel bulb (about 4 small bulbs)
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Remaining ingredients:
- 1 cup bottled tomato-basil pasta sauce (such as Classico)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pitted kalamata olives
- To prepare dough, dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl, and let stand 5 minutes. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 1 3/4 cups flour and salt, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into the dough. If an indentation remains, dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down; knead 5 times, and let rest for 15 minutes. Roll dough into a 12-inch circle on a floured surface. Place dough on a (12-inch) pizza pan or baking sheet coated with cooking spray and sprinkled with cornmeal. Crimp edges of dough with fingers to form a rim.
- To prepare the topping, heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add the fennel and the next 5 ingredients (fennel through black pepper), and cook for 20 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Spread sauce over crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border; sprinkle with fennel mixture, cheese, and olives. Bake at 450° for 18 minutes or until browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes