I loved this pizza! Instead of making the pizza dough, I got fresh dough from our local pizza place. Then, I'm afraid I used store bought pizza sauce, but it was a good one. The rest I followed as instructed and it was great! Will definitely make again.
Photo: Romulo Yanes; Styling: Philippa Brathwaite
Because this classic Neapolitan-style pizza is so simple, it depends on quality ingredients: Use the best fresh mozzarella and basil you can find for this Pizza Margherita.
Yield: 5 servings (serving size: 2 wedges)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 421
- Fat: 10.9g
- Saturated fat: 4.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 16.9g
- Carbohydrate: 62.8g
- Fiber: 6.5g
- Cholesterol: 22mg
- Iron: 4.4mg
- Sodium: 754mg
- Calcium: 267mg
- 1 cup warm water (100° to 110°), divided
- 10 ounces bread flour (about 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons)
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup Basic Pizza Sauce
- 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) thinly sliced fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup small fresh basil leaves
- 1. Pour 3/4 cup warm water in the bowl of a stand mixer with dough hook attached. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups and spoons; level with a knife. Add flour to 3/4 cup water; mix until combined. Cover and let stand 20 minutes. Combine remaining 1/4 cup water and yeast in a small bowl; let stand 5 minutes or until bubbly. Add yeast mixture, oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to flour mixture; mix 5 minutes or until a soft dough forms. Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray; cover surface of dough with plastic wrap lightly coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate 24 hours.
- 2. Remove dough from refrigerator. Let stand, covered, 1 hour or until dough comes to room temperature. Punch dough down. Press dough out to a 12-inch circle on a lightly floured baking sheet, without raised sides, sprinkled with cornmeal. Crimp edges to form a 1/2-inch border. Cover dough loosely with plastic wrap.
- 3. Position an oven rack in the lowest setting. Place a pizza stone on lowest rack. Preheat oven to 550°. Preheat the pizza stone for 30 minutes before baking dough.
- 4. Remove plastic wrap from dough. Sprinkle dough with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Spread Basic Pizza Sauce evenly over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Arrange cheese slices evenly over pizza. Slide pizza onto preheated pizza stone, using a spatula as a guide. Bake at 550° for 11 minutes or until the crust is golden. Cut pizza into 10 wedges, and sprinkle evenly with basil.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note