- 1 (1/4-ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 2 to 3 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Additional olive oil (optional)
- Pesto or pizza sauce
- Pizza toppings
- Combine yeast, sugar, and 1 cup warm water in bowl of a heavy-duty electric stand mixer; let stand 5 minutes. Add 2 cups flour, oil, and salt to bowl, and beat at low speed, using dough hook attachment, 1 minute. Gradually add additional flour until dough begins to leave the sides of the bowl and pull together. (Note: The dough will take on a "shaggy" appearance as the flour is being added. When enough flour has been added, the dough will look soft and smooth, not wet and sticky or overly dry with a rough surface.)
- Increase speed to medium, and beat 5 minutes. Cover bowl of dough with plastic wrap, and let stand in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Punch dough down, and let stand 10 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; shape dough into a ball. Roll dough into an 11- x 14-inch rectangle on a lightly greased baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, or spread with pesto or pizza sauce, and sprinkle with desired toppings. Bake at 475° for 20 to 25 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads